from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large extinct marine reptile having paddlelike limbs that was common in Europe and North America during the Mesozoic Era.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several extinct marine reptiles, of the order Plesiosauria, from the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Plesiosauria.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal of the order Plesiosauria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extinct marine reptile with a small head on a long neck a short tail and four paddle-shaped limbs; of the Jurassic and Cretaceous
New Latin Plēsiosaurus, type genus : Greek plēsios, near to; see pel-5 in Indo-European roots + Greek sauros, lizard.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)