from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two large pheasants, Pavo cristatus of India and Sri Lanka or P. muticus of southeast Asia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pheasant of the genus Pavo or Afropavo, notable for the extravagant tails of the males; a peacock. The cry is "meow" (like cats), "kee-o" or "iyaan".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The peacock or peahen; any species of Pavo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A peacock or peahen; a bird of the genus Pavo, of which there are two if not three species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very large terrestrial southeast Asian pheasant often raised as an ornamental bird
pea(cock) + fowl.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)