from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A protein. No longer in scientific use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A complex biomolecule predominantly made of polypeptides. Found in all living matter.
- n. Any organic material rich in proteid molecules considered a dietary source of essential amino acids.
- n. A protein.
- n. An essential nitrogen-containing component of organic matter.
- adj. Of or pertaining to proteins.
- adj. Containing protein.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an older, imprecise term replaced by protein.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A substance formerly supposed to contain protein as an essential ingredient.
- n. In zoöl, an amphibian of the family Proteidæ.
Sorry, no etymologies found.