from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British One who has a political appointment in the government.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One appointed to a political office, especially in government, as a reward for political support; an appointee, a yes-man.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who holds or occupies a place; one who has office under government.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who holds or occupies a place; specifically, one who has an office under government.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a disparaging term for an appointee
From place + man. (Wiktionary)