from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman who is a teacher.
- n. A headmistress of a school.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman in charge of a school.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman who governs and teaches a school; a female school-teacher.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mistress of a school; a woman who governs a school for children, but may or may not teach.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman schoolteacher (especially one regarded as strict)
Sorry, no etymologies found.