Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In coining, the process of testing repeatedly the weight of a given number of blanks punched from a sheet of gold or silver.
- v. present participle of pound.
- n. An act in which something or someone is pounded
- adj. Causing heavy or loud throbs
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of beating, bruising, or breaking up; a beating.
- n. rare A pounded or pulverized substance.
- n. an instance of rapid strong pulsation (of the heart)
- n. the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows)
- n. repeated heavy blows
“He took a relentless pounding from the media and then from Palin.”
“And we face a Taliban that, after eight years of pounding, is stronger than ever, and believes God is on its side and its victory is assured.”
“To-morrow morning you start in pounding the rust off of it.”
“The outcome of this year's Derby put into perspective Josh Hamilton's feat in pounding out 28 first-round balls in the old Yankee Stadium last summer.”
“November 25th, 2009 12: 19 pm ET typical poloitican he wants votes. people like me in the construction industry have been taking a pounding from the illeales taking our jobs. i'm currentlty unemployed replaced by an illeagle just what we need another politician scking up to these law breakers”
“Zalamo speakers held a symbolic "grain pounding" ceremony in which grains of three colors were used: maize, millet, and rice — red, black, white — which symbolized blood, hair, and semen.”
“There were times when my heart was literally pounding from the action.”
“Visitors to San Pablito quickly discover that the constant sound of pounding is a distinctive reminder of the village's main industry.”
“TORONTO (AP) - The Maple Leafs withstood an early pounding from the Ottawa Senators and then pulled out a late victory.”
“We are running two wars, one in Afghanistan and one in Iraq, in both of which theatres some hard pounding is being done.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pounding’.
by Joe Grant and Steve Ritchie
Come all you brave young soldier lads
With your strong and manly bearing
I'll tell you ...
Looking for tweets for pounding.