from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dull heavy sound, as of something dropped on a surface.
- intransitive v. To move or fall heavily with a dull sound: flumped onto the sofa.
- transitive v. To place or drop with a flump.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to move or fall heavily, or with a dull sound
- v. to drop something heavily or with a dull sound
- n. the dull sound so produced
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To throw down with violence.
- To throw one's self down heavily; flop: as, she flumped down into a chair.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. set (something or oneself) down with or as if with a noise
- v. fall heavily
Several more seconds led to several smaller "flump" sounds, and we were eventually left with a pile of warm, steamy Boll bits, and a slightly perplexed material science engineer!
After about 8 seconds in the microwave we heard a slightly muffled "flump" sound, which turned out to be a Boll exploding into smaller boll-bits.
A half minute later, there was an explosive flump, the groan of contorting steel, a crash as the door frame was torn from the wall, the overhead twisting and falling.
He was a noisy contraption too quick too early in day and with small bump and flump fump with balding front tire he struck a mother duck.
Berryman, who wrote funny poems and then stopped writing funny poems and launched himself off a bridge and, flump, that was it for him.
She goe rown an rown lyke a dervish fer minits at a tyme den flump down awn her bak!
Once she pikked a rat up -ai fink it wuz asleep-carried it tew da shed roof set it down whilst she tried teh flump down next it,teh ole ratty lept up frew itself orf teh shed,ober teh fence,hit mah car jumpt tew teh flor an ran up teh rowd!
I turned the dial to HIGH, barely hearing the flump of igniting gas.
And then, you know, all in a moment, the whole of the bed coverings were torn off with extraordinary violence, and I heard the flump they made as they were hurled into the corner.
I needed to flump out and try to recall the peace of the Sanctuary visit when I was all happy and relaxed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.