Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of forming plantations of trees; also, the act or art of inserting plants in the soil.
- n. A planted place; a grove; a plantation.
- n. In architecture, the laying of the first courses of stone in a foundation.
- n. A plant (or clipping) that has been freshly planted.
- v. present participle of plant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or operation of setting in the ground for propagation, as seeds, trees, shrubs, etc.; the forming of plantations, as of trees; the carrying on of plantations, as of sugar, coffee, etc.
- n. That which is planted; a plantation.
- n. (Arch.), engraving The laying of the first courses of stone in a foundation.
- n. the act of fixing firmly in place
- n. putting seeds or young plants in the ground to grow
- n. a collection of plants (trees or shrubs or flowers) in a particular area
“But as long as they stock the coffee on the same-height shelf at the local grocer, right-wingers will deny that this change in planting has taken place.”
“We were already a month behind in planting the garden.”
“A subsidy for not planting is pursuant to having planted in the first place and being part of a business activity.”
“The way I see it is, if you are not planting those seeds into the ground as a farmer where you harvest the crops those seeds make then what you're honestly, truthfully planting is a BAIT PILE. The only reason you are planting them is to draw deer to your property and hold them there.”
“There are still a few roses, but the planting is now primarily composed of several shrubs, an enormous ‘Grosso’ lavender, echinaceas, sages, bee balm, and verbascum.”
“I agree that some of the before pictures had a great impact, although the new planting is very well done between the floor structure.”
“Democrats hailed the decision, although one EPIC leader complained that the Merriamites had succeeded in planting the idea that a voter was liable to a penalty of seven years 'imprisonment "if by any chance his right to vote is challenged.”
“We take rumen samples to make sure what we are planting is eaten, and extract jaw bones of every animal harvested for aging.”
“They give us the right guidance in planting so we do not make mistakes.”
“It is imperative that we begin planting trees now so that we can solve the problems of Haiti's future.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘planting’.
Looking for tweets for planting.