from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Breathing with quick labored breaths.
- adj. Likely to have difficulty in breathing, especially from exertion.
- adj. Brief and succinct.
- adj. Choppy; disconnected.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. out of breath, gasping for air, breathing rapidly; or given to easily becoming so.
- adj. Concise and to the point (opposite of long-winded).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Affected with shortness of breath; having a quick, difficult respiration, as dyspnoic and asthmatic persons.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Breathing with difficulty; dyspnœic.
- Unable to bear long-continued violent exertion, as running, without difficulty of breathing; out of breath.
- Panting; characterized by difficulty of breathing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. breathing laboriously or convulsively
Sorry, no etymologies found.