American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a stepmother.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a stepmother; suitable to a stepmother; step-motherly.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a stepmother.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Done or recurring every ninth year.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a stepmother; suitable to, or in the manner of, a stepmother.
- Latin novercalis, from noverca a stepmother. (Wiktionary)
- Latin novercālis, from noverca, stepmother; see newo- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“By a pathetic fallacy their capacity to suffer is measured by their apparent power to enjoy, and those are moved to tears by the spectacle of a Dauphin surrendered to the coarse and brutal tutelage of a sans-culotte, who read without emotion of thousands of Huguenot children torn from their mothers 'arms and flung to the novercal cruelties of strangers in blood and creed.”
“To that sister Lady Edgermond the second does not behave exactly in the traditionally novercal fashion, but she is scandalised by the girl's”
“But the nurse suffered the pangs of a baffled stepmother, and looked with novercal eyes of hatred and disgust upon little Sam that had stolen away the hearts of men and women from one that in _her_ eyes was a thousand times his superior.”
“Oh! may we soon blot out the reproach which that neglect has justly rendered us liable to, since we abolished the novercal government of Britain!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘novercal’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Words about relations.
There's an Irish joke that goes something like this. After listening to a sermon in which the priest rails on about promiscuity from the pulpit, the following exchange takes place between an elderl...
Looking for tweets for novercal.