from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of alternate.
- adj. that alternates
- adj. Having a planar diagram whose crossings alternate between "over" and "under" as one travels along the knot.
- adj. Having terms that alternate between positive and negative.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Specifically, in electricity, periodicaliy reversing or changing the direction in such a manner that the total effect in one direction is the same as in the opposite direction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a current) reversing direction
- adj. occurring by turns; first one and then the other
Sorry, no etymologies found.