from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A move made in opposition or retaliation to another.
- intransitive v. To make a move in retaliation or opposition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A move in opposition or response to a preceding move.
- v. To move in opposition or in retaliation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To move in a contrary direction to.
- A movement in opposition to another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A counter-movement.
- To move in a contrary direction, or in antagonism to.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an attack by a defending force against an attacking enemy force in order to regain lost ground or cut off enemy advance units etc.
counter- + move (Wiktionary)