from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An enema.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medicine applied via the rectum; an enema or suppository
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A liquid injected into the lower intestines by means of a syringe; an injection; an enema.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An enema; an injection.
- To administer a rectal injection: same as clysterize.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an injection of a liquid through the anus to stimulate evacuation; sometimes used for diagnostic purposes
Middle English clister, from Old French clistere, from Latin clyster, from Greek klustēr, clyster pipe, from kluzein, to wash out.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French clystere, or its source, Latin clyster, from Ancient Greek κλυστήρ. (Wiktionary)