from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a white-hot glow; incandescent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Glowing as a result of its high temperature; incandescent, glowing with heat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Heated to whiteness; glowing with heat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Whitening; making white.
- Very hot; heated to whiteness; glowing with white heat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. emitting light as a result of being heated
Latin candēns, candent-, present participle of candēre, to shine; see kand- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin candentem, from candere. (Wiktionary)