from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A separation process in which a certain quantity of a mixture is divided up into smaller quantities (fractions) in which the composition changes according to a gradient.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the act or process of separating a mixture into portions of different composition, as in distillation or fractional crystallization.
- n. Separation of crude oil into components of differing composition by fractional distillation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Chemical separation by successive operations, each removing from a liquid some proportion of one of the substances. The operation may be one of precipitation, or more familiarly of distillation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a process that uses heat to separate a substance into its components
- n. separation into portions
Sorry, no etymologies found.