American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A favorable or advantageous circumstance or combination of circumstances.
- n. A favorable or suitable occasion or time.
- n. A chance for progress or advancement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Fit, convenient, or seasonable time; favorable chance or occasion; favorable or favoring conjuncture of circumstances: as, to avail one's self of the opportunity to do something; to seize the opportunity.
- n. Convenience, fitness, or suitability for some particular purpose or set of circumstances.
- n. Importunity; earnestness.
- n. Character; habit. Halliwell. Synonyms Opportunity, Occasion, chance. An occasion falls in one's way, whether desired or not: as, I had occasion to speak with him; an opportunity is desired yet comes naturally when it is obtained: as, I never got a good opportunity to explain the mistake. We find, take, seek occasion; we seek, desire, find, embrace an opportunity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Fit or convenient time or situation; a time or place permitting or favorable for the execution of a purpose; a suitable combination of conditions; suitable occasion; chance.
- n. obsolete Convenience of situation; fitness.
- n. obsolete Importunity; earnestness.
- n. a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
“Indeed, she insinuated that I was perfectly willing to squander the safety of our family just because I couldn't get a deal on batteries, wondering whether I'd ever heard the expression "opportunity cost.”
“When Flair learned that Warrior was getting the title opportunity at SummerSlam instead of him, he launched another series of well-calculated mind games.”
“Triple H reminds Shawn that he still has his title opportunity with the Elimination Chamber.”
“NXT guys than talking about his title opportunity on Sunday.”
“If Povetkin takes another fight, tune-up or otherwise, he loses his title opportunity because the IBF will take away his mandatory ranking.”
“Last Saturday night in Houston, Texas, Rocky Juarez had yet another title opportunity and was once again unable to capture a belt.”
“Could have used some sort of verbal discussion from Jack Swagger pre-match to express what this title opportunity means to him.”
“It was put over as unlucky for C.M. Punk and he still looked pretty good, so perhaps he'll get another title opportunity sometime after the winner of No Mercy's number one contender's match gets their shot.”
“I will cetainly be glad to "collect" an animal anytime the opportunity is available, because there have been many miles of briers, ticks, mosquitos, sand gnats, snakes, sweat and effort expended in between.”
“The raw material of the opportunity is the explosion of data from many sources that rarely finds a way inside traditional business intelligence systems.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘opportunity’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A list based on http://ec.europa.eu/translation/english/guidelines/document...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
level 4 speaking week 1
I love words, especially the ones I make up with my friends.
Very basic words for ESL students.
In keeping with my other Prosies (like this one). There were a number of phrases as well as words in this speech that I found particularly compelling.
My fellow citizens: I stand here ...
level 4 speaking week 1
level4 speaking week1
Level 4 speaking week 1
level 4 speaking
Looking for tweets for opportunity.