from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fabric with an intricately woven pattern.
- n. A special loom or the method employed in the weaving of a figured fabric.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Fabric woven on a jacquard loom.
- n. Fabric resembling a jacquard, but woven by a different process.
- n. A jacquard loom.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a jacquard loom or the fabric it creates.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or invented by, Jacquard, a French mechanician, who died in 1834.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of Jacquard loom or Jacquard attachment (which see, under loom).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a highly figured fabric woven on a Jacquard loom
- n. French inventor of the Jacquard loom that could automatically weave complicated patterns (1752-1834)
- n. a loom with an attachment for forming openings for the passage of the shuttle between the warp threads; used in weaving figured fabrics
Anna who by the way, was NOT wearing her signature sunglasses was wearing a slightly colorful jacquard sweater, cream-colored pleated skirt, and knee-high tan suede boots with buttons all the way up.
It was all there: Tailed pantsuits in mesmerizing jacquard, sculptural sheath dresses entirely made from monarch butterflies, or feathers that gleamed darkly like spilled oil or woven chaffs of wheat that appeared to be one with the models 'woven hairstyles.
Backless vests in leopard-embossed jacquard fastened around the neck and across the back with stud-encrusted straps in black leather.
IMG/Getty Images A leather dress at Calvin Klein Calvin Klein paired unexpected textures with sportswear styles, including an alpaca jacquard sweatshirt, in the label's runway show Thursday.
The designers made luxury statements with lush textures, including jacquard, lambskin and of course, fur, particularly mink.
The evening before, Proenza Schouler used lots of velvets, soft leathers and jacquards, including a jacquard dress of velvet rectangles, with a fold of fabric pulled up across the chest and tugged up at the collarbone by a string.
Kurt Wilberding/The Wall Street Journal A turquoise jacquard dress with the fabric pulled over the shoulder by a thin leather strap.
Kurt Wilberding/The Wall Street Journal A long panne jacquard dress patterned with irredescent rectangles and accented with a thin cinched belt and leather shoulder strap.
Kurt Wilberding/The Wall Street Journal A wool jacquard jacket, jaquard pants and crimson waxed leather top.
Kurt Wilberding/The Wall Street Journal A velvet jacquard dress with a thin cinched belt.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.