from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A heavy fabric with a rough nubby surface, made of spun wild silk.
- n. A rayon or cotton fabric that is imitative of this silk fabric.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A heavy fabric, with a rough surface, made from wild silk
- n. A fabric of some other material having the same characteristics
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a heavy silk fabric with a rough surface (or a cotton imitation)
After Shantung (Shandong), China.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Mandarin Shandong in China. (Wiktionary)