from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of providing or furnishing with a seat or seats.
- n. The seats so provided or furnished: seating for 500.
- n. The arrangement of seats in a room, auditorium, or banquet hall: a theater that offers semicircular seating.
- n. The member or part on or within which another part is seated.
- n. Material for upholstering seats.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The provision of chairs or other places for people to sit
- n. A period of time in which a restaurant will seat guests
- n. Material for making seats.
- n. A housing in which a component is seated.
- v. Present participle of seat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of providing with a seat or seats.
- n. The act of making seats; also, the material for making seats.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of placing on a seat; the act of furnishing with a seat or seats.
- n. Textile material made for upholstering the seats of chairs, sofas, and the like; especially, haircloth.
- n. plural In mech., collectively, the various fitted supports of the parts of a structure or of a machine.
- n. In ship-building, that part of the floor which rests on the keel.
- n. In iron ship-building, a foundation or support built up of plates and angle-bars for the machinery in the interior of a vessel: as, an engine-seating; a boiler-seating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an area that includes places where several people can sit
- n. the service of ushering people to their seats
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If the only resistance to his seating is the taint of his appointer, where is the evidence that there is anything amiss?
I will vote for McCain if the seating is anything less than the peoples wishes.
The seating is made of stainless steel tubes and fabric upholstery.
This extraordinary piece of seating is built from glass and lexan coated clear silicone.
On trains seating is also usually limited as there are specific carriages dedicated to megabus travellers.
And the available third row of seating is as comfortable as it would be in any vehicle this size (which means: not much, anyway).
Colors and comfort feel good inside Outlander; there's more leather stitched-in than ever before, the seating is much better than in the past and you can take long off-road excursions, and you can get out of the car without feeling like those ol 'kidney stones have come back.
This revolution in seating, I judged, amounted to a milestone in LA cultural history.
Bartomeu Amengual Shortly after moving in, Ms. Foley overhauled the kitchen by refurbishing the floors and adding built-in seating, storag e and bookcases.
This series of sculptural urban seating is made from TX Active Cement. – a special kind of cement containing a photocatalyzer that expedites the natural oxidation process of pollutants found in both natural and artificial light and transforms them into less harmful compounds such as water, nitrates and carbon dioxide.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.