from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Bible A saying attributed to Jesus in the Gospels or in other ancient sources.
- n. Bible One of a collection of sayings of Jesus reputedly in circulation in the early Church, most of which are not recorded in the Gospels but which may have belonged to the source material from which the Gospels were compiled.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A saying that is attributed to Jesus but which is not in the Bible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A saying or maxim, as of a teacher, handed down traditionally: specifically used with reference to sayings attributed to Jesus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a saying of Jesus that is regarded as authentic although it is not recorded in the Gospels
Greek, oracle, from legein, to speak; see leg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)