American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To address an earnest or urgent request to; implore: beseech them for help.
- v. To request earnestly; beg for: beseech help. See Synonyms at beg.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To entreat; supplicate; implore; ask or pray with urgency: followed by a personal object.
- To beg eagerly for; solicit: followed by the thing solicited.
- Synonyms Ask, Request, Beg, etc. (see ask), plead for or with, petition, conjure, appeal to.
- n. A request: as, “such submiss beseeches,”
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To ask or entreat with urgency; to supplicate; to implore.
- n. Obs. or Poetic Solicitation; supplication.
- v. ask for or request earnestly
- From Middle English besechen, bisechen, assibilated variants of Middle English beseken, from Old English *besēcan ("to seek or inquire about"), equivalent to be- + seek. Cognate with Dutch bezoeken ("to attend, see"), German besuchen ("to visit, attend, see"), Swedish besöka ("to visit, go to see"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English bisechen, from Old English besēcan : be-, be- + sēcan, to seek; see seek. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Though the apostles went out backed with the authority of the Son of God himself, yet their instructions were, when they came into a house, not to command it, but to salute it; for love's sake rather to beseech, is the evangelical way, Philemon 8, 9.”
“He further noted that they said Mulungu caused calamity and for that reason they had to hold ntambiko (ceremonies of offering) in an effort to "beseech" him.”
“Philemon a favor, has to earnestly "beseech," almost command, his reception as a favor to himself.”
“Wherefore -- Because of my love to thee, I prefer to "beseech," rather than "enjoin," or authoritatively command.”
“I implore God to graciously aid Me in this, for unto such as beseech Him, He is the All-Bounteous, and of those who show mercy, He is the Most”
“The word "beseech" means "to call alongside to exhort, to earnestly entreat.”
“Standing, kneeling and prostrating we affirm: "Thee do we serve and Thee do we beseech for help.”
“I prayerfully beseech you to seek help, and I assure you that your present enslavement to homosexuality can be remedied.”
“Athanasius' testimony in the preface to his list is telling: "I beseech you to bear patiently, if I also write, by way of remembrance, of matters with which you are acquainted.”
“In conclusion, I beseech the Almighty God to grant success to all those who serve Islam and the Muslims, and honor and glory to the dear Iranian nation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘beseech’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
List of most of the words I've learned
What Abt these ... :)
Looking for tweets for beseech.