from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To bring under control; conquer. See Synonyms at defeat.
- transitive v. To make subservient; enslave.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To forcibly impose obedience or servitude.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To subdue, and bring under the yoke of power or dominion; to conquer by force, and compel to submit to the government or absolute control of another; to vanquish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bring under the yoke; subdue; conquer; compel to submit to the dominion or control of another; vanquish.
- To make subservient; take or hold captive; bring under bondage, as the senses.
- Synonyms Vanquish, Subdue, etc. See conquer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. put down by force or intimidation
- v. make subservient; force to submit or subdue
Never did yell or kick send his hot blood from heart to head deluging his sensitive brain with fiery currents, driving him into frenzy or blinding him with fear; but touches, soft and gentle as a woman's, caressing words, and oats given from the open palm, and unfailing kindness, were the means I used to 'subjugate' him.
Now you are saying that your answer was only directed towards the "subjugate" part.
"subjugate" in the debate over and over again, by people from people all along the political spectrum.
In a sharply worded letter to DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano, Beckstrom complains of inadequate funding and cites efforts by the National Security Agency to "subjugate" the NCSC to its control. first obtained by Wired), Beckstrom writes that "NSA effectively controls DHS cyber efforts through detailees, technology insertions, and the proposed move of NPPD [
Like the socialists, they do not mince matters, but state boldly and plainly that they are fighting to subjugate the opposing class.
And surely, no-one means to subjugate women by something as simple as language?
Talking about how all jews are moneygrubbing thieves or how all muslims are violent with the intent to subjugate more dhimmis should not be protected speech.
Only the USA stoops so low as to use people's suffering for profit, denying them even elementary care unless they subjugate themselves under the yoke of insurance companies.
The point of leadership should be to promote those policies that do the most good for the most people; not to promote policies that would unduly burden or subjugate any one group.
Your notion that self-control is paramount in sexual matters is comprehensible to the Elders of Sodom only as the neurosis of a disturbed individual whose sexual desire is bound to an abusive drive to subjugate, to rape men or women, children, animals or corpses.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.