American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An auxiliary structure or the external surface of a vehicle, such as an aircraft, that serves to reduce drag.
- n. Chiefly British A gift, especially one bought or given at a fair.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A present bought or given at a fair, or brought from a fair.
- n. Ironically, something unpleasant bestowed as a gift.
- v. present participle of fair.
- n. A structure on various parts of a vehicle, for example an aircraft, automobile, or motorcycle, that produces a smooth exterior and reduces drag
- n. A present; originally, one given or purchased at a fair. (Uncommon)
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A present; originally, one given or purchased at a fair.
“Encapsulating a payload in a fairing is easy and cleaner.”
“The side fairing is wonderfully asymmetrical, but how will they assimilate lighting into the front for the street version?”
“The fairing is a clamshell structure that encapsulates the satellite as it travels through the atmosphere.”
“Tell the bearer not to forget to bring me a fairing, which is some ginger-bread, sweetmeat, hunting-nuts, and a pocket-book.”
“That whole package will then be placed inside a protective shell called a fairing and eventually stacked atop the Atlas 5 rocket.”
“The rocket's "fairing" - an aerodynamic cone that's designed to separate during the trip into space - didn't come off as planned.”
“Anyway, the next big piece of safety equipment is going to be a protective shield, known as a fairing (a. k.a.-motorcycle windshield).”
“The front module (also called the fairing mount) in Buell's S2 model in”
“Unfortunately, due to budgetary constraints, the plan to have a protective cover, called a fairing, for the quike had to be scrapped.”
“On the other hand the "fairing" may just be enough.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fairing’.
These words are from Samuel Richardson's novel Clarissa, Or, The History of a Young Lady, 1747-48
These are lexical items new to me that I've discovered in actual use (i.e. not in dictionaries, lists, or this site).
Looking back over this list, I haven't the slightest idea what mos...
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Words I didn't know that might come in handy one day...
Looking for tweets for fairing.