from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An investigation carried out ostensibly to uncover subversive activities but actually used to harass and undermine those with differing views.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A search for witches, persons believed to be using sorcery or harmful magic, in order to persecute and typically kill them.
- n. An attempt to find and publicly punish a group of people perceived as a threat, usually on ideological or political grounds.
- n. A public smear-campaign against an individual.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. searching out and harassing dissenters
Sorry, no etymologies found.