from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An investigation carried out ostensibly to uncover subversive activities but actually used to harass and undermine those with differing views.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A search for witches, persons believed to be using sorcery or harmful magic, in order to persecute and typically kill them.
- n. An attempt to find and publicly punish a group of people perceived as a threat, usually on ideological or political grounds.
- n. A public smear-campaign against an individual.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. searching out and harassing dissenters
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Such political tactics can only be characterized as demonization -- or what Professor Adam Levitin calls a witch-hunt.
"The press set about what can only be described as a witch-hunt."
World's 9 most ridiculously expensive cars King hearings called a witch-hunt Molly Lewis serenades Stephen Fry on ukulele at Harvard: "Let me have your baby"
I always suspected that was just a partisan witch-hunt! simp
Teachers need to know that the accountability movement is really a rigged witch-hunt.
I blame both parties for treating every confirmation hearing as if it's a witch-hunt, or an opportunity to destroy someone rather than an interview meant to determine if someone's qualified to do a job.
Otherwise I would assume they'd be able to speak about this with data and not enter a panic/witch-hunt mode ...
Their transparently political witch-hunt, pursued for them with such uncharacteristic unity of message and purpose, has succeeded.
Biden, finally, seconds those who want to cut the price of gas by cutting subsidies, launching a witch-hunt, and raising fuel economy standards.
Next we move to Edwards, whose wants to make gas cheaper with a price-gouging witch-hunt, a cut in the oil subsidy, and stricter enforcement of clean air standards: [T] here ought to be an investigation of the oil and gas companies by the Justice Department ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.