from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence.
- n. The use of unfair investigatory or accusatory methods in order to suppress opposition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The mass pressure, harassment, and/or blacklisting used to pressure people to follow popular political beliefs.
- proper n. The intense opposition, countering, fear and/or suspicion of Communism, particularly in the United States during the 1950s.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. Unscrupulously accusing people of disloyalty (as by saying they were Communists).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. unscrupulously accusing people of disloyalty (as by saying they were Communists)
McCarthy liked to say that the Communist Party invented the term McCarthyism, which he, of course, flaunted in his usual egotistical way.
Sounds like McCarthyism is still alive and well in the ol 'US of A.
Back in the United States, McCarthyism is at its height.
"McCarthyism is Americanism with its sleeves rolled."
Commentary: The essence of the tactic of McCarthyism is to de-legitimize oneâ€ ™ s opponent so as to avoid addressing the substance of his argument
The essence of the tactic of McCarthyism is to de-legitimize oneâ€ ™ s opponent so as to avoid addressing the substance of his argument.
The only relevant law I know was a 1950 law that prevented Communist Party members from getting passports, and if the definition of McCarthyism is policies that targeted potentially subversive activities by actual members of the Stalinist Communist Party, then the definition is broad indeed!
I think if the Obama campaign had not said the word McCarthyism, it would probably be better for them.
AnnCoulter and the other conservative republicans say McCarthyism is good.
What the senator himself called McCarthyism was a factor in key races across the country; all his candidates won and his stock soared.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.