from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Following as a related or consequent aspect or development: "Such contracts involve follow-on sales of maintenance services” ( Christian Science Monitor).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of follow on.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Following as a logical consequence or next step in a process; -- used mostly of voluntary actions.
- n. an immediate second innings forced on a cricket team scoring a prescribed number of runs fewer than its opponents in the first innings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an immediate second innings forced on a cricket team scoring a prescribed number of runs fewer than its opponents in the first innings
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Additional offerings of stock by a company after an initial public offering are referred to as follow-on offerings.
Additional offerings of stock by a company after an initial public offering, or IPO, should be referred to as follow-on offerings.
Just as U.S. initial public offerings have dwindled of late, sales of stock from existing public companies, known as follow-on offerings, have declined dramatically since August.
But rather than raise hundreds of millions of dollars the most popular way—selling shares all at once in what's known as a follow-on offering—it can raise a little bit day by day, over the course of months, in what's known as an at-the-market offering.
But rather than raise hundreds of millions of dollars the most popular way-selling shares all at once in what's known as a follow-on offering-it can raise a little bit day by day, over the course of months, in what's known as an at-the-market offering.
Among gainers, Oil & Natural Gas Corp. built on Monday's gains on the back of a report that the company's follow-on share sale has been postponed.
To make the shares affordable to investors, the company will split each of its shares into five before the follow-on offer.
Meanwhile, the steep stock-market downdraft of late July to early October, during which the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 16%, took a toll on follow-on stock sales, or sales by companies that are already public, whose second-half volume fell globally by 52% from the first half.
At that price, LinkedIn's follow-on offer would add about 1.1 million shares to the market.
The forecast for adequate cattle supplies marked a sharp contrast to the estimates of many economists, who expect the follow-on effects from a prolonged drought in the Southern Plains to translate to tighter supplies later this year.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.