American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Carried by or through the air: airborne pollen.
- adj. Transported in aircraft: airborne troops.
- adj. In flight; flying: The plane is airborne.
- adj. In or carried by the air.
- n. Military infantry intended to be transported by air and delivered to the battlefield by parachute or helicopter.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. conveyed by or through air, as dust or pollen.
- adj. in flight; flying; -- said of an airplane.
- adj. (Mil.) carried directly to the site of battle by aircraft; -- said of combat troops, .
- adj. moved or conveyed by or through air
- Attested since the 1640s; air + borne (Wiktionary)
“In-room filtered air to prevent certain airborne infections”
“The idea was that these bombers would remain airborne, within striking distance of their targets, for very long periods.”
“But while those manned planes still must fly at 180 knots, the unmanned Predator can remain airborne at a mere 75 knots.”
“Independently of each other, the two had already done quite a bit of work in what is known as airborne acoustics—the sound carried in concert halls and movie theaters—as well as in noise control and noise reduction in buildings.”
“After only one month at home, I was again airborne, flying an A-7 from my old squadron VA-82.”
“Literary beginnings: The band's unusual name refers to Don DeLillo's White Noise, a 1985 postmodernist novel about a man who faces death after a chemical mishap, dubbed the airborne toxic event.”
“For the 30 aircraft still airborne, that is nerve-wracking news.”
“A technique called airborne laser scanning -- using a laser mounted in an aircraft -- has shown some success in measuring individual tree height.”
“He clicked his microphone to call the airborne search coordinator.”
“That would have filled in a crucial link for al Qaeda, which had been toying with the idea of airborne attack for many years.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘airborne’.
List of words, terms, and phrases pertaining to or referencing anything that lives, traverses, moves in, uses, or otherwise occupies the space above the ground we walk on. Words and phrases contain...
Words used quite often in steampunk
I'm reading books. And there are words and phrases I come upon for the first time, or that are used with usages that are new to me.
So, this is just a plain list of those words. Don't expect ...
Words from 2009 'Watchmen' film.
Looking for tweets for airborne.