from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal An aircraft carrier.
- n. Informal A short haircut in which the hair is brushed straight up and cropped flat across the top.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short haircut in which the hair is brushed straight up then cut flat across the top
- n. (informal) An aircraft carrier; origin credited since 1942 to a laconic message, “Scratch one flattop,” radioed by LCDR Robert E. Dixon to USS Lexington, whose commanding officer credited the pilot with coining the standard USN slang; see Wikipedia for Battle of Coral Sea
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An aircraft carrier.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An American perennial herb, Vernonia Noveboracensis. Also called iron-weed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large warship that carries planes and has a long flat deck for takeoffs and landings
- n. a closely cropped haircut; usually for men
Sorry, no etymologies found.