from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A constellation in the equatorial region of the Southern Hemisphere near Pisces and Aquila.
- n. The 11th sign of the zodiac in astrology.
- n. One who is born under this sign.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. : A constellation of the zodiac, supposedly shaped like a water carrier.
- proper n. : The zodiac sign for the water carrier, ruled by Uranus covering January 21 - February 19 (tropical astrology) or February 15 - March 14 (sidereal astrology).
- n. Someone with an Aquarius star sign
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Water-bearer; the eleventh sign in the zodiac, which the sun enters about the 20th of January; -- so called from the rains which prevail at that season in Italy and the East.
- n. A constellation south of Pegasus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A zodiacal constellation, supposed to represent a man standing with his left hand extended upward, and with his right pouring out of a vase a stream of water which flows into the mouth of the Southern Fish. It contains no star brighter than the third magnitude.
- n. The Water-bearer; the eleventh sign (marked ♒) of the zodiac, which the sun enters about the 21st of January: so called from the constellation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the eleventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about January 20 to February 18
- n. a zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Capricornus and Pisces
- n. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Aquarius
Middle English, from Latin, water carrier, the constellation Aquarius, from aqua, water; see aqua.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin aquārius ("water carrier"), from aqua ("water") + -arius (Wiktionary)