from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is active in sports.
- n. A person whose conduct and attitude exhibit sportsmanship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man who engages in sports. A male athlete.
- n. A man who engages in country sports, such as hunting or fishing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who pursues the sports of the field; one who hunts, fishes, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man who sports; specifically, a man who practises field-sports, especially hunting or fishing, usually for pleasure and in a legitimate manner.
- n. One who bets or is otherwise interested in field-sports, especially racing; a sporting man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who engages in sports
sports + -man. (Wiktionary)