from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that beats, especially a device for beating: a carpet beater.
- n. A person who drives wild game from under cover for a hunter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone or something that beats.
- n. A kitchen implement for mixing.
- n. A stick used to play a percussion instrument.
- n. A man who drives game towards shooters in a hunting party, often working in a group.
- n. A papermaking machine for processing fibres by fibrillation in order to improve bonding strength
- n. An automobile in poor operating condition.
- n. A sleeveless undershirt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, beats.
- n. A person who beats up game for the hunters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who beats: as, a carpet-beater; a drum-beater.
- n. In hunting, one who rouses or beats up game.
- n. That which beats or is used in beating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an implement for beating
- n. a worker who rouses wild game from under cover for a hunter
beat + -er (Wiktionary)
By shortening from wife beater. (Wiktionary)