from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Bible See Table at Bible.
- Peter, Saint Died c. A.D. 67. The chief of the 12 Apostles. He is traditionally regarded as the first bishop of Rome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A male given name.
- proper n. The leading Apostle in the New Testament.
- proper n. The epistles of Peter in the New Testament of the Bible, 1 Peter and 2 Peter attributed to St. Peter.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
From Latin Petrus, from Ancient Greek Πέτρος (Petros), from πέτρος (petros, "stone, rock"), related to πέτρα (petra) (Wiktionary)