from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A metric unit of volume equal to approximately 1.056 liquid quarts, 0.908 dry quart, or 0.264 gallon. See Table at measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. US spelling of litre: One cubic decimeter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A measure of capacity in the metric system, being a cubic decimeter, equal to 61.022 cubic inches, or 2.113 American pints, or 1.76 English pints.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Middle English form of litter.
- n. The unit of capacity in the metric system, equal to 0.88036 imperial quart, or 1.056 United States quarts; the volume of one kilogram of water at its maximum density.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a metric unit of capacity, formerly defined as the volume of one kilogram of pure water under standard conditions; now equal to 1,000 cubic centimeters (or approximately 1.75 pints)
A half liter is about all two people can support these days, especially in restaurants (many have to drive), so that would stop leaving a fourth to a third of the bottle undrunk on the table.
The price per liter is set by the government and changes on a monthly basis (always upward, from my experience).
The test showed a blood mercury level of 72 micrograms per liter, which is nearly 14 times higher than the New York State reporting level.
The U.S. government sets a limit for drinking water at 10 micrograms of arsenic per liter, which is exceeded in the water consumed by 13 million Americans who mostly live in rural areas that rely on wells to bring up ground water, the researchers wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Human milk generally provides 25 IU of vitamin D per liter, which is not enough for an infant if it is the sole source of vitamin D.
At the average world price of bottled water of US$0. 44 per liter, that is US$7. 9 billion or enough money to pay off the proposed water expenditures in less than ten years.
And after all a liter is a little bigger than a quart, so it is not that hard to convert.
Diesel here is currently running 0.93 euros/liter, which is about $4.70/gal.
Wells in Mauritius have high nitrate levels reaching 50 micrograms per liter, which is up to the World Health Organization-defined safety limits.
The Aura gets an attractive interior and, as an option, GM's most advanced V-6 motor, a 3.6 liter, which is also available in the Cadillac CTS.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.