American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A wide cylindrical glass vessel with a pouring lip, used as a laboratory container and mixing jar.
- n. A large drinking cup with a wide mouth.
- n. The quantity that a beaker holds.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large drinking-vessel with a wide mouth.
- n. A glass vessel used by chemists, usually for making solutions. It is made of thin glass to withstand heating, and has a flat bottom and perpendicular sides, with a lip for pouring, and varies in capacity from 1 to 30 fluidounces.
- n. A flat-bottomed vessel, with a lip, used as a laboratory container.
- n. A drinking vessel without a handle, sometimes for the use of children.
- n. A mug.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A large drinking cup, with a wide mouth, supported on a foot or standard.
- n. An open-mouthed, thin glass vessel, having a projecting lip for pouring; -- used for holding solutions requiring heat.
- n. a flatbottomed jar made of glass or plastic; used for chemistry
- n. a cup (usually without a handle)
- From Middle English biker, from Old Norse bikarr ("cup"), from Old Saxon bikeri ("cup"), from West Germanic bikari (“beaker”), from Late Latin bīcārium ("wine vat, jug"), of disputed origin. Possibly from Ancient Greek βίκος (bíkos, "earthenware jug, wine jar"), or from Latin bacarium ("wine vat, vase"). Cognate with Dutch beker ("beaker, cup"), German Becher ("beaker, cup, goblet"), Danish bæger ("beaker"), Italian bicchiere ("cup, glass (for drink)"). See also pitcher. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English biker and Middle Dutch bēker, drinking vessel, both from Medieval Latin bicārius, bicārium; see pitcher2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“What's going on in the beaker is actually quite a complex set of chemical reactions.”
“However, the rate of increase may finally be beginning to ease, as the beaker is almost full.”
“A tempered glass or stainless steel beaker is preheated with boiling water, coarse-ground coffee is added, then hot water.”
“If an empty beaker is lowered part way into the liquid, the liquid flows upward, over the edge and down into the beaker.”
“Indeed, their population is increasing now, but the beaker is almost full and their reproductive rate is starting to drop.”
“They are plunged in a solution of ammonium chloride A, contained in a glass phial or beaker, which is closed to suppress evaporation.”
“= -- This is called the beaker-shaped puff-ball because the base of the plant, after the spores have all been scattered, resembles to some extent a beaker, or a broad cup with a stout, stem-like base.”
“The NIH stimulus package provides $7.4 billion for so-called beaker-ready projects - grants already peer reviewed and agency approved but not funded due to years of hold-the-line agency budgets.”
“Big and small, the disappointments, phobias, and guilt stuff fills our "beaker" until there is almost no room, and certainly little clarity.”
“The closest science-y thing I have in my kitchen right now is the UGN measuring cup from Ikea - it's kind of beaker-ish...”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘beaker’.
List of laboratory glassware and apparatuses, machines, tools, etc., starting with burette.
Please feel free to help me populate this list, all you mad scientist Wordniks.
Words that sound like sneezes
A list of pewter items and wares gleaned from the literature, or found listed for sale in antique catalogs - from spoons to stills and chamber pots to church cups. A synonym for the larger, heavier...
Words used quite often in steampunk
Know thy enemy. (Thy enemy are the Ginger.)
Catalog all known Gingerborns here!
Things that can be used to measure other things.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Thou speak'st aright;
I am that merry wanderer of the night.
I jest to Oberon and make him smile....
-- A Midsummer Night's Dream
Famous sidekicks, real and imaginary...
My big word list.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
My B Words
Names of Muppets.
I am currently trying to decide whether to keep this to Muppet Show or add in characters from Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock etc too.
Looking for tweets for beaker.