from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large drinking cup having a single handle and often a hinged cover, especially a tall pewter or silver mug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large drinking vessel, sometimes of pewter, sometimes with a glass base, with one handle and often a hinged cover.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large drinking vessel, especially one with a cover.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vessel, larger than a common drinking-cup, used for holding liquor.
- Of or pertaining to a tankard; hence, convivial; festive; jovial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large drinking vessel with one handle
Middle English, of unknown origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)