from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small cask or barrel with a capacity of about 30 gallons (114 liters).
- n. Such a container and its contents.
- n. A unit of weight used for nails, equal to 100 pounds (45.5 kilograms).
- transitive v. To put or store in a small cask or barrel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A round, traditionally wooden container of lesser capacity than a barrel, often used to store beer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small cask or barrel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small cask or barrel; a cask-shaped vessel of indefinite size, but in capacity less than half a barrel, usually from 5 to 10 gallons.
- n. A lump; piece.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small cask or barrel
- n. the quantity contained in a keg
Middle English kag, from Old Norse kaggi.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English kag, from Old Norse kaggi ("keg") (Wiktionary)