American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To diminish slowly and come to an end; dwindle. Often used with out: Their enthusiasm soon petered out.
- v. To become exhausted. Used with out.
- n. Vulgar Slang The penis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of wine otherwise called peter-sec-me and peter-sameene.
- n. A kind of cosmetic.
- n. See blue-peter
- n. In whist, a conventional signal indicating a call for trumps. See peter, verb
- n. The common American coot, Fulica americana: so called with reference to its color, with an allusion to blue-peter.
- In whist, to call for trumps by throwing away a higher card of a suit while holding a smaller.
- To diminish gradually and then cease; fail; be-come exhausted; in mining, to split up into branches and become lost: said of a vein which runs out or disappears, so that it can no longer be followed by the miner: with out.
- n. In thieves' cant, a traveling-bag, portmanteau, trunk, or any piece of baggage or a parcel.
- n. The penis.
- v. To dwindle; to trail off; to diminish to nothing
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A common baptismal name for a man. The name of one of the apostles
- v. Slang, U.S. To become exhausted; to run out; to fail; -- used generally with
- n. disciple of Jesus and leader of the Apostles; regarded by Catholics as the vicar of Christ on earth and first Pope
- n. obscene terms for penis
- 1812, US miners’ slang, Unknown. Various speculative etymologies have been suggested. One suggestion is that it comes from peter being an abbreviation of saltpeter, the key ingredient in gunpowder – when a mine was exhausted, it was “petered”. Other derivations are from St. Peter (from sense of “rock”), or French péter ("to fart"). (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown.From the name Peter. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Yes | No | Report from whitetail1 wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago peter is right. they do work because if a doe hasn't been serviced she will come back in around 30 days later, then a third time if needed.”
“Anthony sean coates first off iam pretty sure peter is over thinking this movie like always.”
“In the begining of the series Hiro finds peter on the subway and he says "you look diffrent without the scar" so I don't think that peter is going to regenerate. no doubt he is going to get away from Sylar, but he's not going to regenerate thus Peter getting the scar.”
“UNIDNETIFIED FEMALE: In today's day and age, the word peter means a sexual part of the body.”
“Before anyone calls peter comment #10 an anti-semite, you should read the Mearsheimer Walt white paper on the Israel Lobby.”
“Why would they even think of using a 45 year old? in the BD when bella says that carlisle would be a grandfather she says that he looks like zeus’s younger, better looking brother. anyways peter is soo hot for a dad of three. he looks good with jenny garth.”
“I don't like the idea of peter as a ghost at all wasn't it bad enough *spoiler*”
“I have seen it twice, and it did get better n a second viewing. lorettajohnson hey peter, that is very interesting. there is a fanboy in my accounting dept that saw it over the weekend and he said it was very "pedestrian”
“Yeah, because Kick Ass will be an Oscar-worthy picture. clever name peter is allowed one mistake here and there. give em a break.”
“Rob Pattinson, milo whatever (can't spell last name but also known as peter patrelli from heroes!), Kellen Lutz, Jackson Rathborne (with staight black hair) don't kill me for this but Taylor Lautner with his new hot bod!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peter’.
List of Boys names
A list of fictional cats. Also see reesetee's list: Flights of Fancy
If the creature isn't well known, please add a brief description on the Comments page.
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
Euphemisms for the penis.
A Testicle by Any Other Name
Ward, I'm worried about the beaver
With thanks to quinn for the idea, seen here. It's true that most diseases cannot double as names for baby boysâ€”but some can. And anyway in their absence I nominate (thanks to Colon/Colin) body p...
COLLECT FROM DIFFERENT PAPERS,WEBSITES,BOOKS AND MOVIES.
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for peter.