American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Anatomy The penis.
- n. Anatomy The sexually undifferentiated tissue in an embryo that becomes the penis or clitoris.
- n. A representation of the penis and testes as an embodiment of generative power.
- n. The immature penis considered in psychoanalysis as the libidinal object of infantile sexuality in the male.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The penis; in biology, in general, the organ of sex.
- n. An emblem of the generative power in nature, carried in solemn procession in the Bacchic festivals of ancient Greece, and also an object of veneration or worship among various Oriental nations. See lingam.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] In botany, a genus of gasteromycetous fungi, giving name to the family Phalloideæ. The stem is naked and bears a conical reticulated pileus. P. impudicus, the common stinkhorn, grows in damp woods, and emits a fetid, highly disagreeable odor. The spores are scattered by carrion-flies that are attracted by the smell.
- n. A penis, especially when erect.
- n. A representation of an erect penis symbolising fertility or potency.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The emblem of the generative power in nature, carried in procession in the Bacchic orgies, or worshiped in various ways.
- n. (Anat.) The penis or clitoris, or the embryonic or primitive organ from which either may be derived.
- n. (Bot.) A genus of fungi which have a fetid and disgusting odor; the stinkhorn.
- n. genus of fungi having the cap or pileus hanging free around the stem
- n. the male organ of copulation (`member' is a euphemism)
- From Late Latin phallus, from Ancient Greek φαλλός (phallos) (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin, from Greek phallos; see bhel-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“On the contrary, the "proper" journey of the phallus is the very map of normality.”
“Priapus-god to whom the Vestal Virgins of Rome, professed tribades, sacrificed, also the neck-charm in phallus-shape.”
“According to Buddhist scholars, the phallus is a cautionary symbol of the dangers of the male ego; for ordinary Bhutanese, it’s a talisman against evil spirits.”
“You were all smooth and deep voiced there on the dance floor and yeah, I went back to your place after only one drink, but I was intrigued, but once you pulled out that technological terror you call your "sithhood" that was the end of that, but you kept waving your hand "the phallus is not at all scary" and I didn't have any choice but to agree, but now I've got these sores, and the droid at the clinic says they're contagious bitch!”
“Here's 5 good reasons worrying about the length of your little green phallus is a waste of time:) 1.”
“This proper place, known to Dupin, and to the psychoanalyst, who in oscillating fashion, as we shall see, occupies Dupin's position, is the place of castration: woman as the unveiled site of the lack of a penis, as the truth of the phallus, that is of castration.”
“The phallus is the idol of the Defense of Marriage Act.”
“Well I think Probe Ministries shouldn't be called that because probing sounds a bit phallic and everyone knows that the phallus is a Pagan symbol.”
“Having the phallus is the signifier of being a subject.”
“My favorite piece a pair of trousers with...damn it...something like "the phallus is the object of my affection" written across the front.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘phallus’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
Euphemisms for the penis.
A Testicle by Any Other Name
Ward, I'm worried about the beaver
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
comprised of all manner of words relating to sex and sexuality, this list can be used for entertainment, or any manner of content filtering.
Looking for tweets for phallus.