American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Hinduism A stylized representation of a vulva worshiped as a symbol of a goddess or Shakti.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The female organ of generation or a symbol thereof. Compare lingam.
- n. The female sexual organs, or a symbol of them, especially as an object of veneration within certain types of Hinduism, Buddhism, and other cultures.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Hindu Myth.) The symbol under which Sakti, or the personification of the female power in nature, is worshiped. Cf. lingam.
- From Sanskrit योनि (yoni). (Wiktionary)
- Sanskrit yoniḥ, womb, abode, source. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In some places indeed the word yoni means not source, but merely place; so, for instance, in the mantra, 'A yoni, O Indra, was made for you to sit down upon '(/Ri/k.”
“Among the nations and religions of India the yoni was the representation of the female organ of generation, and was the symbol of the prolific power of nature.”
“For that the word 'source' denotes the material cause is well known from the use of ordinary language; the earth, for instance, is called the yoni of trees and herbs.”
“The earth was the primitive pudendum or yoni which is fecundated by the solar heat, the sun, the primitive linga, to whose vivifying rays man and animals, plants and the fruits of the earth, owe their being and continued existence. ”
“In Japan, the color "cherry blossom pink" is associated with a woman's yoni, and consequently, soft-core pornographic films are called "pink movies.”
“And the heart, which has no resemblance to an anatomical heart, is a simplistic illustration of an aroused and engorged vulva, a holy yoni.”
“The garland wrapped pole is a clear and graphic representation of a phallus encircled by a yoni.”
“It's sacred iconography -- and it happens to look very much like a woman's yoni.”
“For about two weeks, my yoni felt dense, as if I needed another release (orgasm).”
“Even when the vagina is worshiped in theory, as the yoni is in India, it is denigrated in practice.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘yoni’.
Words about us
I love being a woman.
In the midnight hour she cried MOAR MOAR MOAR
Looking for tweets for yoni.