from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Hinduism Variant of Shiva.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The Hindu God of Destruction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the triad of Hindoo gods. He is the avenger or destroyer, and in modern worship symbolizes the reproductive power of nature.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In later Hindu myth., the name of a god of highest rank, supreme god in the opinion of his sectaries, but also combined with Brahma and Vishnu in a triad, in which he represents the principle of destruction.
- n. In ornithology, a genus of Asiatic birds, such as S. cyanuroptera, S. strigula, and S. castaneicauda: so named by Hodgson in 1838, and also called by him Hemiparus (1841) and Ioropus (1844).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the destroyer; one of the three major divinities in the later Hindu pantheon
Sorry, no etymologies found.