from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A natural mass or pile of rocks.
- n. Stonework imitating the irregular surface of natural rock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ornamental work done with rocks, as for example around a pond.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Stonework in which the surface is left broken and rough.
- n. A rockery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Stones fixed in mortar in imitation of the irregular surface of natural rocks, and arranged to form a mound, or constructed as a wall.
- n. A rockery; a design formed of fragments of rocks or large stones in gardens or pleasure-grounds: often forming a kind of grotto.
- n. A natural wall or mass of rock.
- n. Rock-faced or quarry-faced masonry. See quarry-faced (with cut).
rock + work (Wiktionary)