from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The external genital organs of the female, including the labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, and vestibule of the vagina.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The external female sexual organs, collectively.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The external parts of the female genital organs; sometimes, the opening between the projecting parts of the external organs.
- n. The orifice of the oviduct of an insect or other invertebrate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the external organs of generation of the female; especially, the orifice of these parts, the external termination of the vagina—of an elliptical contour in the human female.
- n. In entomology, the orifice of the oviduct.
- n. In conchology, the oval or vulviform conformation presented by certain bivalve shells when the right and left valves are in apposition. See Veneridæ
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. external parts of the female genitalia
Latin, womb, covering.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vulva, earlier volva ("womb, female sexual organ"), probably from volvare ("to turn, wrap around"). Akin to Sanskrit (ulva, "womb"). (Wiktionary)