American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The external genital organs of the female, including the labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, and vestibule of the vagina.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the external organs of generation of the female; especially, the orifice of these parts, the external termination of the vagina—of an elliptical contour in the human female.
- n. In entomology, the orifice of the oviduct.
- n. In conchology, the oval or vulviform conformation presented by certain bivalve shells when the right and left valves are in apposition. See Veneridæ
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) The external parts of the female genital organs; sometimes, the opening between the projecting parts of the external organs.
- n. (Zoöl.) The orifice of the oviduct of an insect or other invertebrate.
- n. external parts of the female genitalia
- From Latin vulva, earlier volva ("womb, female sexual organ"), probably from volvare ("to turn, wrap around"). Akin to Sanskrit (ulva, "womb"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin, womb, covering. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The external organs of the female are included in the term vulva, or pudenda.”
“I think "vulva" is a great word and should be used more in all kinds of company.”
“Karen Sandstrom, former books editor of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, who is now writing for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, objects to the number of times I use the word vulva, while Maurene Goo of Venus Zine states that, "Thief uses the word cock a lot.”
“I used the word vulva as a child the way some kids said butt or penis or puke.”
“When an infant girl touches her vulva is she just then becoming aware of it or is she demonstrating what she learned or knew prior to birth?”
“I hate the word vulva, and would not use it, and when the girls are pointing down there, they're not actually aiming for their vaginas....wait, a rant for a different day.”
“The vulva is the gateway to life, c-sections excepted.”
“The vulva is a completely essential part of the reproductive machinery.”
“The vulva was the wound that healed itself in rhythm with the lunar cycle.”
“The man with the vulva was the shaman, the wounded healer who had knowledge of animals and stars, healing and weather.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vulva’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Adult themed words
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
The Last Good Words Left
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
words describing the sexual parts of life
an addendum or Anhang to Prolagus's list 'The braggadocio recipe'
I love being a woman.
Looking for tweets for vulva.