American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Football The backfield player whose position is behind the line of scrimmage and who usually calls the signals for the plays.
- v. Football To direct the offense of.
- v. Slang To lead or direct the operations of: "needed someone to quarterback the [brain trust] for the first U.S. ICBM program” ( Forbes).
- v. Football To play quarterback.
- n. American football an offensive back whose primary job is to pass the ball in a play
- v. American football to play the position of quarterback
- v. by extension to lead the offense
- v. play the quarterback
- n. (football) the person who plays quarterback
- n. (American football) the position of the football player in the backfield who directs the offensive play of his team
“The shortest path to the quarterback is a straight line and they line up closer than anybody to the quarterback.”
“Well, when doing a football movie, the quarterback is also one of the more important casts that a casting director must fill.”
“The "target" statistic doesn't tell us if the quarterback is actually coming that close to the receiver.”
“No matter the conference, the quarterback is a pivotal position at draft time.”
“Usually a quarterback is aware of that and can rush in and get it in.”
“You don't know what a quarterback is all about until you see him on the football field, you see him under fire," Warner says.”
“Don't critize com up with a solution, being Monday morning quarterback is easy, get some skin in the game. we as citizens also have to get involved, tell you Congress people what is working and what isn't.”
“If it comes to that, Childress should yank his quarterback from the lineup.”
“Even though Vick and McNabb are in the last year of their respective contracts, each quarterback is in the best situation for himself and that is what makes the game intriguing.”
“Which quarterback is currently in the better situation, Donovan McNabb or Michael Vick?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘quarterback’.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for quarterback.