from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football The backfield player whose position is behind the line of scrimmage and who usually calls the signals for the plays.
- transitive v. Football To direct the offense of.
- transitive v. Slang To lead or direct the operations of: "needed someone to quarterback the [brain trust] for the first U.S. ICBM program” ( Forbes).
- intransitive v. Football To play quarterback.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an offensive back whose primary job is to pass the ball in a play
- v. to play the position of quarterback
- v. to lead the offense
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. play the quarterback
- n. (football) the person who plays quarterback
- n. (American football) the position of the football player in the backfield who directs the offensive play of his team
Sorry, no etymologies found.