from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball The playing area extending outward from the diamond, divided into left, center, and right field.
- n. Baseball The position played by an outfielder.
- n. Baseball The members of a team playing in the outfield.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The region of the field between the infield and the outer fence.
- n. The region of the field roughly outside of the infield or the wicket-keeper, slips, gully, point, cover, mid off, mid on, midwicket and square leg.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Arable land which has been or is being exhausted. See infield, 1.
- n. A field beyond, or separated from, the inclosed land about the homestead; an uninclosed or unexplored tract. Also used figuratively.
- n. The part of the baseball field beyond the diamond, or infield. It is occupied by the fielders, and usually considered as divided into left field, center field, and right field, named as viewed from home plate.
- n. The part of the field farthest from the batsman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Scotland, arable land which is continually cropped without being manured, until it is exhausted. See infield.
- n. A name given to uninclosed farm lands at a distance from the farmstead.
- n. An out-lying region; an undefined or indefinite sphere, district, or domain.
- n. See field, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the area of a baseball playing field beyond the lines connecting the bases
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The club's lack of depth in the outfield is alarming.
The Bosox, whose outfield is needy because of injuries and David Ortiz 'decline, is intrigued by Frenchy even though he has reverted to 2008 form, now hitting .247.
The Nationals outfield is not quite an obvious strength, but it's not necessarily a glaring weakness, either.
So we practiced and practiced until I could and today, I got about 8 points simply by hitting it over the heads of people who thought, “Oh, girl in wheelchair, move up closer”, kind of made up for all those junior high softball days when the pitcher called the outfield in whenever I came up to bat.
I'm trying my hardest to be patient on Mark Teixeira (he has to be hurt, right?) but I have to do something because my outfield is underperforming, too (not enough power, way too many K's).
Before the game, Pierzynski was jogging near first base after crossing the outfield from the bullpen on the way to the dugout when Eddings emerged from behind home plate with the other umpires for the lineups exchange.
They have a good defense and that outfield is sick.
Ryan Klesko's play at first base has improved substantially this season, and the Padres say the experiment to eventually return him to the outfield is over.
The question mark in the outfield is in center, where highly touted Corey Patterson, 22, will get the first shot.
St. Louis 'major league outfield is not exactly stacked, and Ortega could work his way into the mix with a good spring.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.