American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Football An offensive backfield player whose position is behind the quarterback and halfbacks and who primarily performs offensive blocking and line plunges.
- n. Football The position of this player.
- n. Sports A primarily defensive backfield player in field hockey, soccer, or Rugby whose position is near the defensive goal or goal line.
- n. Sports The position of this player.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In foot-ball. See back, 12.
- n. American football An offensive back whose primary jobs are to block in advance of the halfback on running plays and for the quarterback on passing plays.
- n. field hockey A defensive player who assists the goalie in preventing the opposing team from scoring.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Football) players stationed behind those in the front line.
- n. an offensive football player who plays farther behind the line of scrimmage than the half-back. They are used primarily for blocking and line plunges.
- v. (Football) To play the position of fullback on a football team; to be the fullback.
- n. (American football) the position of a back on a football team
- n. (football) the running back who plays the fullback position on the offensive team
- v. play the fullback
“Turns out the Atlanta fullback is a capable runner, too.”
“It's just past lunchtime in the Giants locker room on a victorious Monday and Bear Pascoe, the team's tight-end-turned-temporary-fullback, is trying to answer the following question: What was your personal highlight from Sunday's win over the Lions?”
“AP Bear Pascoe has been an admirable fill-in fullback the past two weeks.”
“Many Steelers fans decried the loss of the pure blocking fullback from the Steelers lineup when Arians took over the coordinator's job after the Cardinals hired Ken Whisenhunt as their coach in 2007.”
“Jim Kleinsasser, who also lines up at fullback, is a superb run-blocker.”
“So the top-rated fullback is West Virginia tough guy Owen Schmitt, a fourth-round prospect who has overcome odds his entire life, so don't be surprised if he beats this next challenge.”
“The top pure fullback is Tennessee's Cory Anderson, a former defensive end.”
“The fullback is important, and I've had success with that," Whisenhunt says.”
“In a league known for their standout tailbacks, a fullback is rarely accorded All-Pac 10 Conference recognition, but Tuiasosopo received honorable mention in 2003.”
“It's hard to know we are a running team and we had a real tough time running," Wisconsin fullback Matt Bernstein said.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fullback’.
The Last Good Words Left
Looking for tweets for fullback.