from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football An offensive backfield player whose position is behind the quarterback and halfbacks and who primarily performs offensive blocking and line plunges.
- n. Football The position of this player.
- n. Sports A primarily defensive backfield player in field hockey, soccer, or Rugby whose position is near the defensive goal or goal line.
- n. Sports The position of this player.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An offensive back whose primary jobs are to block in advance of the halfback on running plays and for the quarterback on passing plays.
- n. A defensive player who assists the goalie in preventing the opposing team from scoring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. players stationed behind those in the front line.
- n. an offensive football player who plays farther behind the line of scrimmage than the half-back. They are used primarily for blocking and line plunges.
- v. To play the position of fullback on a football team; to be the fullback.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In foot-ball. See back, 12.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (American football) the position of a back on a football team
- n. (football) the running back who plays the fullback position on the offensive team
- v. play the fullback
Sorry, no etymologies found.