from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who quits school.
- n. One who has withdrawn from a given social group or environment.
- n. Computer Science A segment of magnetic tape on which expected information is absent.
- n. Computer Science The failure to read a bit of stored information.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who has left an educational institution without completing the course
- n. The slot in the frame that accepts the axles of the wheels.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who quits school before graduation
- n. someone who withdraws from a social group or environment
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Duncan himself is one of the greatest perpetrators -- although in fairness, he does often substitute the term "dropout factories."
But it could be argued that the dropout is a victim of the up-tight situation and that he drops out in order to regain "touch".
Pastorek and others spoke to a statewide summit entitled "Louisiana's Promise," which was designed to find new ways to stem what they called a dropout crisis.
A school dropout from a poor family, Zhu Guofan is not your typical CEO.
Being a college dropout from a family that barely made middle class when I was finishing high school, I must strongly disagree with this.
Reduction in dropout rates: every (100%) student in this country must graduate high school by 2025
Colin Powell himself calls the dropout rate a "moral catastrophe."
It does speak of positive plans to help schools, all of which help dropouts, but the word dropout, or any word with the same meaning, was not present.
Ukraine became the latest dropout from the "coalition of the willing" when President Leonid Kuchma formally ordered his generals to start pulling his country's roughly 1,600 troops out of Iraq.
And there might be free entertainment, maybe an ancient dropout from a mariachi band or a youngster trying to transport a small pig in a big box.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.