from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece of bread dough that is rolled thin and fried in deep fat.
- n. An American infantryman in World War I.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An American infantryman, especially one from World War I.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a rounded lump of dough that is deep-fried and served as hot bread
- n. an American infantryman in World War I
Sense 2, perhaps from the large buttons on American uniforms of the 1860s, said to resemble doughboys (sense 1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
dough + boy; reason of concatenation unknown. Dated from 1847, during the Mexican-American War. (Wiktionary)