American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness.
- n. Informal Guts; spunk.
- n. Informal Common sense.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Acuteness of the practical understanding; clear, practical common sense; quick perception of the right thing to do under unusual circumstances.
- n. Energy of mind and body, enthusiasm.
- n. Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness, guts; spunk; initiative.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. colloq. Capacity; shrewdness; common sense.
- n. The art of preparing colors.
- n. Megilp.
- n. initiative; resourcefulness.
- n. Courage; guts.
- n. sound practical judgment
- n. fortitude and determination
- Scots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But they hadn't what we call gumption, they put all their capital into one line of business, and you may be sure they swamped the market.”
“And gumption is always welcome (whereas the timorousness of anonymity will be quashed -- c.f. the A-Z of the blog I can't be bothered linking to at the moment).”
“It's been a long time since I've seen a vice presidential nominee with so muchwhat's the word gumption!”
“I've been quiet for a while, going through a number of struggles that have left me without the - in the vernacular of my childhood, the 'gumption' - to keep writing frequently.”
“It just takes some gumption, which is evident in some agencies, if not in others.”
“They talk about gumption and there is even a song called gumption from that movie!”
“While he talks a good game about the businesses he's "built or turned around," his entrepreneurial gumption, which is real, has failed to produce an equal degree of entrepreneurial success.”
“It's hard-wired to operate with typical Beltway gumption, which is why it's failing miserably.”
“This is called gumption: He is the Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee.”
“GOD BLESS the "ol 'man" may we ALL have the "gumption" to still be going at that age!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gumption’.
If it's not ...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
gonk, nerking, guap, gimp, fabulous, dabble, fabilicious, tragic, zooted, hey, cheekini, nugget and 457 more...
a couple words
Study list of difficult words from Daniel Woodrell's novel Winter's Bone. In reverse order: start at the bottom to see words from the beginning of the novel!
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, The Golem's Eye.
words I read but don't know
favorite words. some are made up injokes between me and my husband or family.
Looking for tweets for gumption.