from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that turns a roasting spit.
- n. A roasting spit that can be turned.
- n. A dog formerly used in a treadmill to turn a roasting spit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person employed in turning a spit for the purpose of roasting meat.
- n. A short-legged, long-bodied dog, now extinct, bred to run on a wheel to turn a spit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who turns a spit; hence, a person engaged in some menial office.
- n. A small breed of dogs having a long body and short crooked legs. These dogs were formerly much used for turning a spit on which meat was roasting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person who turns a spit.
- n. A kind of dog of small size, long-bodied and short-legged, formerly used to work a kind of treadmill-wheel by means of which a spit was turned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a roasting spit that can be turned
turn + spit (Wiktionary)