from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat metal surface, such as a pan, that is used for cooking by dry heat.
- n. Vermont & Upstate New York See eye.
- transitive v. To cook on a flat metal surface.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flat plate of metal used for cooking.
- v. To use a griddle, to cook on a griddle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An iron plate or pan used for cooking cakes.
- n. A sieve with a wire bottom, used by miners.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A grated utensil for broiling flesh and fish: same as gridiron
- n. A broad disk or shallow pan of iron, used chiefly for cooking thin cakes over a fire.
- n. A griddle-cake.
- n. In mining, a sieve with a wire bottom.
- n. One of the iron plates fitted as lids to the round apertures for cooking-utensils in the top of a cooking-stove or range.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cook on a griddle
- n. cooking utensil consisting of a flat heated surface (as on top of a stove) on which food is cooked
If the batter, for example, contains an acid of some kind, like buttermilk is frequently used in griddle cakes, pancakes, that kind of thing, then the baking soda will react with the acid in the buttermilk to make bubbles.
Hoodathunk (sponsored by Scroomall Health Corp) says: pathetic5 now getting concerned that the hot griddle is waiting.
When the griddle is hot, pick up a rolled out chapatti and slap it back and forth gently to remove any excess flour.
Later this year, a Chicago-area McDonalds restaurant will fry up hamburgers with an automated grill that dispenses patties directly onto the griddle from a separate freezer compartment, reducing labor and promising fresher sandwiches.
If what we are seeing in Karen Owen is the realization of female sexual power, then we must at least admit that the first pancake off the griddle is a bit of a flop.
We don't cook these on the grill as they tend to fall apart so a griddle is the way to go.
Cooking food on a griddle is a very healthy way of cooking, as it uses very little fat.
I think that they could be successfully made on a flat griddle, which is perhaps closer to the cooking method used for wafers.
"She had fat enough on her to grease a griddle, which is more'n some folks can claim," retorted the president, with any thing but a dreamy expression to her face.
Tortas, Mexican sandwiches, are the specialty at lunch, and the selections cooked in the restaurant's wood-burning oven are your best bet (the griddle-cooked tortas were too cheese-driven for me, though if a grilled cheese is what you're shopping for, the griddle is the way to go).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.